In order to live a healthier lifestyle, no matter what life changes you are wanting to make, it begins with your mind. If you want to be successful you must first release any negative thoughts and de-clutter, giving yourself a mental detox. If you start with a clear mind your body will follow.
Here are a few steps to assist while making your lifestyle change.
- Set realistic goals: Whatever change you are making, be sure to keep them within reach or else you will lose motivation and soon give up. Simple change over time can make a big difference.
- Get a journal: A journal will help you keep track of your daily habits, even if you fall off track a little, still make note of it, as it will assist you in the long run when you need to tweak something to get back on track.
- Positive/Negative Effect: Thinking Positive; if you say, I will get up an hour earlier to get on the elliptical, you are drawing positive energy towards you. Thinking Negative: If you say, maybe I should get on the elliptical after work, because I'm not a really a morning person, you are starting off drawing negative energy into your life, that negative energy will sometimes linger. So thing positive - Positive - Positive Out - Negative in - Negative Out.
- Commitment: When making lifestyle changes you have to be committed to the goal(s) you set for yourself in order to see them through. Commitment takes dedication and motivation toward something you feel strongly about doing. Do not make a commitment to something that you don't feel strongly about - evaluate your circumstances and make sure the goals that you are setting are the best goals for you.
- Motivation: Motivation is key in a lifestyle change. Find out what motivates you and stick with it. write little motivational notes to yourself and post them around - on the bathroom mirror, in your car, at the office. Partner up with someone who has similar goals that way it will be easier for you both to stick with it.
- Reward: Reward yourself for small accomplishments, acknowledge your success, which will lead to greater self confidence and self motivation.